Here is the kicker.  If java were opensource, Microsoft would produce a
fork and so would IBM and etc..  Sun learned the wrong lessons from UNIX
though so they'd never let this happen.

Here is the bottomline: Let them fork, let the best one win.  There are
now 3 wide-spread use UNIXes:  Solaris, HPUX, and the
(Linux/FreeBSD/etc)  (why did I lump them?  Because they mostly share
the same everything cross compiled except the Kernel...I'm sure I'm
completely wrong your religion is better but *shrug*).  Sun's fork could
focus on write once read everywhere.  MS on making you use MS.  IBM on
making you use IBM stuff, etc.

-Andy

On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 04:16, Kevin A. Burton wrote:

> Peter Donald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > Heck no.  .NET/c# why would I want to use an even more proprietary thing
> > > to get back at SUN?  Heck no.
>
> ... hm.. this discussion could be on the list... buy anyway.
>
> > You sure it is more proprietary?
>
> I believe that C# and the CLR is less proprietary than Java.  It has been pushed
> through a standards committee and there are Open Source implementations coming
> up around the corner.
>
> > I believe our PMC head actually sits as head on one of the standardization
> > efforts for C#s core libraries. With the recent change to BSDL/MIT licensing
> > with one of the opensource runtimes things are starting to look interesting.
>
> Yeah... I have to admit C# and the CLR looks good.  I think that if Java were
> Open Source we could combine it with the CLR (or at least some of the concepts)
> to get the best worlds.
>
> That won't happen unless Java is Open Source.
>
> > Technically there are things about C#/CLR/etc that are far superior to Java
> > (much better meta-data support, no JNI pain, a nicer GUI setup, support for C
> > based languages, etc) and theres also things that suck (hard to optimize
> > bytecode, crapola linking model, etc).
>
> yeah... and if Java were Open Source we could see that some of the good things
> from the CLR were adopted within Java.
>
> > *if* there was an open, semi-stable platform then I am sure a fair chunk of
> > people would flock to it - especially if it is under a nice license like MIT
> > that both the BSD and GPL people seem to like.
>
> yeah... I TOTALLY agree.
>
> I just don't want to have to throw every Jakarta project away just because SUN
> can't see the light.
>
> > I don't think Sun will lose on high-end or the embedded device market but
> > everywhere else I think is debatable ;)
>
> Hm... .NET is being ported to BSD and Linux.  I don't know about that.
>
> > A lot of people I know who are java advocates have seriously looked at
> > swapping to C# - at least for the desktop.  Given how weak the C# runtime is
> > now (at least compared to java) this I find interesting.
>
> I haven't looked at the C# gui stuff.  I still don't think there is a solid GUI
> framework unless you use C++/QT/KDE
>
> > If JDK1.5 comes out in time with all its very kool features I think Java still
> > has a fighting chance ... maybe.
>
> It would have a fighting chance.  JavaOne is in march and I am hoping that SUN
> is planning on having an announcement then.  Of course I was expecting an
> announcement last year and the year before that and they never came. :)
>
> > If the J2SE was opensourced then it would almost win by default. However Sun
> > is nowhere near as agile as MS - still too much of a slow hardware company -
> > so they will almost certainly fall down in that area.
>
> The Open Source community would PASTE Microsoft if we could develop the JDK
> with our own rules.
>
> > It will be interesting to see how IBM reacts. They have some damn fine VM
> [...]
www.superlinksoftware.com
                        - fix java generics!

vote.
-Ambassador Kosh