> And look at Log4j, look at POI, look at BCEL, look at Lucene, look at
> FOP, look at XIndice, just to name a few: they were all able to build a
> community on their own, thus they were entitled to get in.

Log4J was hosted on SourceForge
POI was hosted on SourceForge
BCEL was hosted on SouceForge

My point is that you need 'a' SourceForge to start your project.

> Sourceforge (and GNU, for what matters) don't care if projects die, we
> do. In fact, it's a rare event that a software project hosted under
> Apache dies out.

And I think it's good if projects die.  It's part of a natural selection.

> > If Apache wants to attract more projects/developers, I think that it can
> > use SourceForge's ressources (CVS...) and play more a mentoring/advisor
> > role.
>
> Using Jon's terms: thansk for volunteering.

How can I volunteer since I don't have one single experience of the Apache community?

> In case you didn't notice, mentoring/advising is a very time-intensive
> role.

Trying to build my own community right now and it's quite time-consuming, I agree.

> What you say is perfect: there is room for something in between Apache
> and SourceForge and ApacheForge would fit that role.

I didn't say that.  I only suggested that Apache should show the path from SourceForge
to Apache.  You can use SF's ressources (I don't think that setting up a new CVS
repository does solve anything) but it's more important to present what Apache
requires to enter into the club.

When I started my project, I took a deep deep look at several Apache projects:

- how they wrote the build file
- how they organized the cvs tree
- where they placed the license
- how they named the packages
- how they wrote their websites

Several articles exist on the internet about these subjects, but I didn't find these
things stated on the Apache website.

> And coaches have families, need to eat, sleep and have a life.

That's why there are manuals.  Young players can read them without bothering the
coach.  But I haven't found an 'Apache' manual.

> Painting this as an ivory tower is, IMHO, a clear misunderstanding of
> the Apache spirit.

Apache is a club and it's not easy to join in.  If you're outside this club, it can be
viewed as an ivory tower.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir Bossicard