At 15:30 28.03.2002 -0600, Morgan Delagrange wrote:

>I am pro-Log4J.  I wish I lived in that Log4J-only world (until/unless
>something better came along).  Generally, commons-logging neither encourages
>nor discourages use of Log4J.  However, I would argue that it _does_
>encourage Log4J a bit by not forcing a logging implementation war.

True. It does encourage it, but only initially. On the long run,
however, people will run into problems with their logging (as is
happening now). They will say this commons-logging+log4j stuff is too
complicated, we'll switch to JDK 1.4 logging, at least that does not
have any CLASSPATH problems.

>The fact is, JDK 1.4 logging in particular is going to become more and more
>common over time, and unless someone can summon forth a magic recantation of
>that JSR, then a component-level interface with popular loggers is
>necessary.  Otherwise you have to pick, which only services us at the
>expense of those who use other logger implementations.

Possible but I would not be that sure.  We will have very strong new
features in log4j 1.3 (the release after 1.2) which will leave JDK 1.4
logging even further behind.  Just as importantly, log4j documentation
is going to get a massive boost with the upcoming log4j book.

Sun's me-too strategy is bound to fail. The question is whether the
bigger jakarta community is going to help us defeat JSR47 or stand in
the way.

--
Ceki
My link of the month: http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/standardization/