Hi Kevin,

> Jon Scott Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > If anything, crossdb is something that is a few generations
> behind Torque in
> > terms of functionality and design.
> >
> >     http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque/
>
> Yeah... I was going to point this out.
>
> > Funny how all the rage recently seems to be creating these OR tools.
> <snip/>
>
> It is a problem people can understand and is easy to become
> fascinated with.
>
> Similar to they way everyone in the world has created their
> own text editor.
>
> Kevin

I can imagine why people do their OR tool: because existing ones do not
fulfill their necessities. In fact, that's what happened to me recently.

Torque is nice, but you have to specify the database first in the XML.
Usually, I prefer to code Java instead of XML. If it was the other way
around, it would have been our primary choice. No flames please: different
use cases call for different tools. Torque would have been perfect for a set
of tables which you can define completely from the beginning, and make a few
changes along the way. In our case, the set of tables was meant to grow and
be expandable.

Besides, database layers are not so difficult to build.

Un saludo,

Alex Fernández.