Fernandez Martinez, Alejandro wrote:

> I can imagine why people do their OR tool: because existing ones do not
> fulfill their necessities. In fact, that's what happened to me recently.

Exactly. I haven't seen a decent one so far (except for NeXT/Apple
WebObjects). So if you want to compare O/R with text editors (like it
was done before in this thread), imagine a world with "vi" and "notepad"
  as the only 2 choices. Emacs and MS Word > 6.0 are yet to be invented.

> Torque is nice, but you have to specify the database first in the XML.
> Usually, I prefer to code Java instead of XML. If it was the other way
> around, it would have been our primary choice. No flames please: different
> use cases call for different tools. Torque would have been perfect for a set
> of tables which you can define completely from the beginning, and make a few
> changes along the way. In our case, the set of tables was meant to grow and
> be expandable.

This doesn't have to be hard either way. On my last project with
WebObjects, database have grown from 15 to 100 tables along the way (in
about 9 month). With a simple 1 screen GUI tool and a built in class
generator we *never* had problems synchronizing (or rather evolving) the
code base. Products like WebObjects or Cayenne, though they internally
work off of the model file (XML), still make your code easy to change.
But of course this varies from product to product.