> Oh, joy! Why did it come out to light that I am a man?
> Russian gentlemen often take me as a lady because my first name
> ends up with "ya". ;-)
> (suffix for feminine noun in Russian / Ruski Yazjik)

Tetsuya sounds masculine to me... Secondly its a statistical probability
that you are male.

> By the way, congratulations upon the promotion of Tapestry to Jakarta
> Subproject. It seems to have taken a long time (since October last year?),
> but your efforts have been tremendous. Maybe you are the best "incubator"
> in Jakarta ;-)
> What are you planning to incubate next to it? -- AltRMI??

This will be a long reply to a short message but you gave me the perfect
opportunity to dump this off my chest.

Nothing for a good long time.  The amount of energy now required to start
any effort in Apache is much much greater than it once was.  To be honest, I
have nothing but the greatest opinion of Apache, but nothing but the most
negative opinion of the results of the "reorg".  I was totally right, we
have thrown the baby out with the bathwater and for now on everything worth
anything will happen in Commons or the "Sandbox"es, etc.  Its just too much
of a gigantic pain to argue yourself to death and deal with a tricameral or
worse process.

We set out to fix "too little oversight" and well, we overcompensated on the
ice and are in a ditch.  Tapestry was a unique situation because you had a
"star" like Howard and a great group of guys to make it worthwhile.  They
deserve the credit, I did little if anything.  I just ran interference
against the organization and took a few bullets.  It shouldn't be like this.

A more accurate analysis would be that we saw a river that was flooding a
valley and we dammed it too completely and now its overflowing its banks in
some places but causing a draught in the valley.  Its hard to plant new
crops or grow some of the existing ones.  There will be more "violations" as
people find clever ways around the bureaucracy and fewer bold an new
efforts.  Its a system to work against not in.

Fortunately, the fertile POI plantation is more alive now than ever.  It was
hard for me but I made a conscious decision that for the project to grow, I
needed to be less active and let others fill the void.  Thatıs happening now
and on top of that business is booming.  So I have a nice well-irrigated
little home to return/retreat into and a new frontier to explore that has
not reached the level of "management" that we now have here.

(I stole this idea from Stefano whom I think quits his projects and returns
on a regular basis for this same reason ;-) -- though I might be giving him
excessive credit -- I wouldn't bet on it...  In my next life I want to be
reincarnated as a fly on Stefano's wall...)

I've no intention of being the one who picks up the hatchet and fights the
counter-reformation.  I'd rather just be on of the cowering masses (for a
change) that follows once the inevitable backlash starts.  I'm not the only
one who is unhappy with the current "reforms".

In the case of AltRMI, its in good hands with Paul Hammant who knows more
about starting projects than I ever will ;-).... (now "releasing" them is
another story ha ha j/k paul).

In any case.  I'm done fighting for awhile.  Tapestry is promoted and I'll
help there when I'm needed.  POI is healthy.  My business is booming like
mad.  Life is VERY good.

If someone does decide to take up the issue they are welcome to use this
email and I'll be happy to help if I'm able, but "it ain' me, it ain' me, I
ain no fortunate son"....  Or to paraphrase/steal from Churchill: "When I am
in the Socratic mood" I realize that my wonderful plan "would upset a lot of
things; it would cause commotion and bring me perhaps in the end a hemlock
draught."

I hope to see some of Y'all at JavaONE and maybe you Tetsuya at the next
ApacheCON  (we're doing one this year right?)...

Peace,

-Andy

> Sincerely,
>
> --
> Tetsuya Kitahata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  -- A man who thinks of Money as "S" on a skewer ...  with love.

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?