Andrew C. Oliver escribió:
The original intent of the vendors.xml page was:

 1. Because I got sick of hearing people say "Jakarta projects are not
supported" and wanted a page to send people to during presentations.

 2. So a certain unnamed committer would not feel the need to spam the lists
(because I though if he got away with it, others would start doing it and
then I'd get lists full of consultancy spam).

Now that Open Source is no longer a commercial cussword and I doubt even an
economic turnaround will kill the momentum, I think that the policy for that
page ought to be "just have one of the committers you employ on the Jakarta
projects you support make the change".  Thus tightening it from people who
"support" Jakarta projects to people who support Jakarta projects.

Thoughts/Objections?

+1 It is a simple test of reasonable support, not just lurking.

I would not say "you employ", but "just convince one jakarta commiter to make the change". This would ensure at least some level of communication (like sending it to the project -dev list and discussing it there, etc.)

It the spirit of Open Source, if a Company is not able to have a fluid relation with at least one committer of one of the projects they support, I can't see how they can claim support of the projects.

Note I'm saying less than Andy. Not "employing" a committer, but channelling the change through one committer. The company maybe contributed some patches or docs, or just good answers in the -user list, but the project committers should be aware of them existing and supporting the project.

-Andy

Regards -- Santiago Gala High Sierra Technology, S.L. (http://hisitech.com) http://memojo.com?page=SantiagoGalaBlog