On 7/3/03 7:24 PM, "Greg Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 3. Jakarta - IMHO this the best place for it.
>>
>> The division of XML vs Jakarta predates me for certain, but I think the main
>> issues surrounding that are rusty.
>
> The problem is Jakarta itself. Centering a PMC around a *language* rather
> than functionality is the inherent problem. These questions will continue to
> arise over and over.

What's done is done.  As a Jakarta committer I always feel like the guy
wearing a "I'm here I'm queer deal with it" shirt at a Republican National
Convention.

> When Grisha Trubetskoy wanted to contribute mod_python to the ASF, a good
> number of people called for creating a 'python' TLP. The Board decided to
> stop perpetrating the per-language concept. Instead, mod_python was added to
> the Apache HTTP Server Project (it *is* a module for Apache httpd, after
> all). mod_php, mod_perl, and mod_tcl fall under the same argument, of
> course, but they get a Grandfather Pass :-)

I'm getting de ja vu...  You don't like this community.  I get it...  I'll
file this on the appropriate file system for such information.  So Jakarta
is the grandfather of them all... Etc etc

> To that extent, I'd say it is an XML project.

> However, I think it is mostly
> up to the XMLBeans community to ask for one or the other. If that PMC says
> "okay", then everything is fine. (and no... PMCs are not allowed to meet at
> sundown to duel for an arriving project :-)

I agree.  The question for them:  "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" ;-)

-Andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi