From: robert burrell donkin
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 2:57 PM
To: Jakarta General List
Subject: Re: Apache CVS (was Re: Lessons Learned)

On 13 Dec 2004, at 22:20, Richard Bair wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your insight!
>
> Related to this, I have a question regarding the
> organizational structure of CVS. I noticed that
> cvs.apache.org has, predictably, a different package
> for all of the top-level projects, and even
> sub-projects (although all of the commons-components
> are considered components and not sub-projects, hence
> the lack of any of the components at this top level).
> I also noticed that each of the websites is listed as
> [projectname]-site.
>
> I'm certainly not the worlds foremost expert at CVS,
> so I naturally assume that since apache is laid out
> this way that this must a great way to lay out a
> project & its sub-projects in CVS. Is this so? What
> are the pros/cons to doing it this way, as opposed to
> a true tree structure? I assume it has something to do
> with the way CVS does things.

(though it is the conventional way to lay out CVS projects) i suspect
that this organization grew rather than being planned. (though it may
well be easier to manage permissions with this structure.)

we're moving to subversion and there have been quite a few discussions
about the best ways of laying our repositories recently. if you can use
subversion, seriously consider using it. the way our subversion
repository is laid out is a little different.

- robert