On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

+1.

Let's leave Jakarta out of the names. It's assumed. So in the acronym
example from Frank, it would be Apache Jakarta WP4J and not JWP4J.

Makes sense.

Firstly, don't worry about the committership part Frank. I'm certain that
if you had a decently sized lump of code accepted, and wanted to continue
to maintain and enhance it and the code around, that we'll quickly
nominate committership and get it passed etc. There's doubt in that people
are involved etc, but I've never seen the community refuse to let someone
in who is actively doing work and wanting in.

That is definitely one of my concerns... I absolutely want to continue to
evolve what I started and build upon it,

Yep, that's a decision we all make in contributing to the ASF communities. Are you happy to go with the commuhnity view, or want to keep things closer to your chest.

and now I have others getting involved too so I have even more of a concern than when it was just me because they are affected too.

Or rather, you are getting involved with others. I suspect that the process would begin by restructuring the Jakarta bits, and then pulling in the external code.

I went through the same situation Frank is heading into a few years back.
I had a large lump of code, some good, some crap that I wanted to donate
into various Commons projects. Some was accepted, some was not. I'm pretty
certain that not all of javawebparts.sf.net will end up in Jakarta <name>.
Some of it will be code that you like Frank.

I can live with that, but of course it matters how much is deemed "crap"
:)  If 80% of it wound up being accepted, and assuming that 80% included
some of the more interesting stuff (AjaxTags for instance), then I'd be OK
with that.  I don't know what percentage winds up making me happy or
unhappy either, I just pulled 80% out of my a** :)

I've not looked at your code, but the numbers my arse suggests based on how much of my code got in would be 20% straight in, 20% with modifications and 60% not in. Of that 60% not in, I killed half because someone else had put bits in, especially in Collections, but that's less likely to happen here I suspect.

I also killed some code because I agreed with the points of view for rejecting it.

1) Drop the code that doesn't make it in.
2) Have a different project name for the code that doesn't make it in.
3) Vote for something else :)

1+2 both involve deprecating the javawebparts stuff.

Well, 1 involves that... 2 just involves a name change, which I'd be OK
with if I was involved with the Apache project on an ongoing basis.  Heck,
I could even call it "WP4J Jr." :)

Probably not; it'd be a trademark issue at that point. One of those "If we don't defend the trademark against WP4J Jr, we can't depend it against Evil Company's WP4J product".

Hopefully none of that sounds too aggressive or anything; just trying to
make this nice and simple so Frank can make his decision and we can
include or not include Web Parts and WP4J as potential names.

No, not aggressive at all, I very much appreciate the discussion and
consideration!  :)

I think you understand the conundrum for me... Java Web Parts is beginning
to build a community, albeit slowly, and I have full control over it (for
the time being anyway)... There are definite benefits to it being subsumed
(snip)
I understand wanting to clear it up before calling a vote, but it might be better to do the vote sooner than later... at the end of the day, Web Parts might not win the vote anyway... if it doesn't, than all of this discussion is moot... I can still contribute my stuff later if I want, but the project can move forward either way.

Let's do that. The suggested name of Web Parts does cause us to jump the gun a lot in terms of assumptions, so I'll go ahead and call a vote with Web Parts included but with a big note that it affects how we go ahead with the subproject.

My gut feel is that there's a high chance you won't be happy with the way things would play out; ie) everyone could agree that AJAX components were outside scope or something.

Hen