Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
Personally, I'd really like to get all of us committed, willing and
able to contribute in a much more coordinated fashion then we are
today. We don't hang out on IRC, no weekly chats, not much forward
looking discussions, not much enthusiasm or cooperation anymore from
looking at the mailing lists. I am trying to see if we can jumpstart
that as well with this proposal.
Well part of the reason behind that is everyone is busy with their day
to day work ,
for example when we start Axis2 we were fully focus on Axis2 .
So it was so easy for us to do all those , but now we work on Axis2 and
answer the mail
when we get some free time. Anyway I agree that there are some
improvements that we need to do.

Also the other reason IMO is that axis2 is mostly "done" .. I have no objection at all to someone starting an axis3 or doing a lot of changes to axis2, but I personally don't have major problems that I see need to be fixed in axis2. Yes there are tons of JIRAs and lots of small issues, but those don't warrant / motivate the types of weekly chats and architectural conversations that we had in the early days.

IMO the kernel of a SOAP stack is mostly a solved problem now. I think even CXF is seeing that .. and you don't see people writing new soap stacks any more!

Again, if someone has a cool idea for a radical innovation what would drive yet another order of magnitude improvement (or there abouts) then I'm all ears for it. I personally haven't "seen the light" on how to improve the core of Axis2 & CXF any more at this point. That absolutely could change tomorrow, next week, next month or next year but not today, at least for me. I'm not talking about incremental changes but rather radical innovation - the type of thing that will grab people and get their creative juices flowing.

IMO a lot of the work that's interesting is now going on around Axis2, not in the core of it. Example, writing new deployers that plug in more stuff, writing cool transports etc. etc. - those all hang around axis2 but that doesn't make axis2 itself really improve.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/