So Glen, if we're talking about a new TLP what are the proposed components under it? What will remain in the ws TLP because they don't have enough ammo to be a TLP?

Sanjiva.

Glen Daniels wrote:
Hi dims, all:

Davanum Srinivas wrote:
For a few years now, there is a growing consensus at the board level
that a small focused PMC that directly reports to the board is better
than a huge umbrella PMCs. two umbrella PMC's have already made
transitions including XML and Jakarta.

+1. As PMC chair, I've definitely had a challenging time keeping up with everything going on in all the subprojects, and from a purely practical point of view, the board reports each quarter are pretty darn long.

One reason is that they have found that a small focused PMC/committer
set takes better care of the code, web site, releases, legal issues
and basic oversight of day to day workings of a PMC better than a huge
umbrella PMC. For example, personally i think Synapse has thrived
after it left the fold.

+1

Take a look at our web site(s), take a look at our release
schedules(s) - for all projects, take a look at our bug tracker(s).
Does anyone see that we are doing an excellent job?

Point taken.

We need to gather momentum, going TLP is an excellent way to do that.
A small focused team that is working on a single goal of getting a
good set of Axis2 related projects going is i think the right way to
go. I think the Axis2 eco system will do better when we go TLP.

I agree.

Personally, I'd really like to get all of us committed, willing and
able to contribute in a much more coordinated fashion then we are
today. We don't hang out on IRC, no weekly chats, not much forward
looking discussions, not much enthusiasm or cooperation anymore from
looking at the mailing lists. I am trying to see if we can jumpstart
that as well with this proposal.

Well said!  This was an excellent note, dims.

I also very much believe that an Axis2 TLP will help get us focused on moving forward.

fwiw, Juddi and xmlrpc do not have sufficient people on board to go
TLP as of this moment. Yes, we should try harder to get more people
involved there or we end up moth-balling them.

Well, yeah - they're certainly not TLP-capable, but as they're already subprojects I'd like to put off the decision to moth-ball them for a while as long as there is at least one person dedicated to working on them... hence the proposal to keep these guys under WS.

Thanks,
--Glen

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Blog: http://sanjiva.weerawarana.org/