I found a bit of a kludge that seems to temporarily fix the problem without modifying the standard OS X environment. I added the following to my ~/.bashrc

# if we are in the prefixed gentoo
if `echo $SHELL|grep Gentoo 1>/dev/null 2>&1` ; then
        # source prefixed profile
        source ${HOME}/Library/Gentoo/etc/profile
        # fix color ls
        alias ls='ls --color'
        # disable bold in PS1
        PS1=`echo $PS1|sed s/01\;/00\;/g`
        PS1=$PS1' '
        export PS1
fi

But this is not a proper fix. I tried compiling bash a few times with different configure options. Specifically I tried

./configure --prefix=/Users/wilson/Library/Gentoo --sysconfdir=/ Users/wilson/Library/Gentoo/etc

but this bash still sourced /etc/profile. The configure script documents the --sysconfdir option

$ ./configure --help|grep sysconf
  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]

I don't understand why this option has no effect (or why the prefix option doesn't do the same as is implied by the [PREFIX/etc].

Aaron