On 09-07-2007 10:38:02 -0600, Aaron Wilson wrote:
[snip hack-workaround]
> But this is not a proper fix. I tried compiling bash a few times with
> different configure options. Specifically I tried
>
>> ./configure --prefix=/Users/wilson/Library/Gentoo
>> --sysconfdir=/Users/wilson/Library/Gentoo/etc
>
> but this bash still sourced /etc/profile. The configure script documents
> the --sysconfdir option
>
>> $ ./configure --help|grep sysconf
>>   --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
>
> I don't understand why this option has no effect (or why the prefix option
> doesn't do the same as is implied by the [PREFIX/etc].

I just ran
% ktrace -f /var/tmp/bash.trace bash
$ ^D
% kdump -f /var/tmp/bash.trace | less

and the first file it opens (after lots of library loads by the linker)
is
21164 bash     NAMI  "/Library/Gentoo/etc/bash/bashrc"
which is clearly a prefix path.

I don't see it *ever* touching a non-prefixed file.  That said, could
(one of you) try the same as I did above and look through the output of
kdump to see if you see it opening non-prefixed files?

(Don't dump the file here on the list, or any other public place.  If
you want me to look at it, send it to me privately.)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level