On Thursday 27 April 2006 17:53, Paolo Ripamonti wrote:
> On 4/27/06, Sergio Polini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As far as I can understand, this means that AMD64 takes "a lot" of
> > time to switch between two frequencies, so "the system freezes a
> > little bit" when this happens.
>
> As far as I can say... this is not true for me.
> I'm using "ondemand" on my AMD Athlon 3000 and I've never had such
> problems. I'd rather take a look at compile options, use flag and kernel
> configuration. Also, have you tried running memtest?

stop using 'ondemand'.

I have only 1/3 to 1/2 of the fps in ut2004 I get with 'performance'.
Sometimes even lower.

Switching frequencies IS time consuming. So, if you measured runtimes for any
app with ondemand, you have very 'wrong' results.

>From the help of the 'conservative' governor:

If you have a desktop machine then you should really be considering     │
  │ the 'ondemand' governor instead, however if you are using a laptop,     │
  │ PDA or even an AMD64 based computer (due to the unacceptable            │
  │ step-by-step latency issues between the minimum and maximum frequency   │
  │ transitions in the CPU) you will probably want to use this governor.    │

Again, everything you measured with ondemand, is not worth the time you spent
on it.