Hmm...

Please check my kernel config file:

> cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -i cpu
# CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU is not set
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=y
CONFIG_SPLIT_PTLOCK_CPUS=4
# CPU Frequency scaling
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y
# CPUFreq processor drivers
# CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ is not set
# CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set

Should I change anything ?

Maybe  I should remove CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE and
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE...

=)

On 4/27/06, Sergio Polini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Fernando Boaglio:
> > It's not about startup time, it's about running time, sometimes the
> > systems freezes
> > a little bit, just like asking for more CPU or RAM.
>
> I'ld look at the cpu frequency governor.
> From /usr/src/linux/drivers/cpufreq/Kconfig, about the 'conservative'
> governor:
>
> "If you have a desktop machine then you should really be considering
> the 'ondemand' governor instead, however if you are using a laptop,
> PDA or even an AMD64 based computer (due to the unacceptable
> step-by-step latency issues between the minimum and maximum frequency
> transitions in the CPU) you will probably want to use this governor."
>
> As far as I can understand, this means that AMD64 takes "a lot" of
> time to switch between two frequencies, so "the system freezes a
> little bit" when this happens.
>
> This is why I've choosen the conservative governor for my HP dv5000
> laptop.
>
> My 2 cents ;-)
>
> Sergio
>
> --