On 9/23/06, Greg Bur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 9/22/06, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/22/06, Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted
> > below, on  Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:35:47 -0700:

> P.S. - I'm still curious about trying your compiler flags but now
> there is no pressing timeframe to do it in on this machine. - MWK
> --

I put my workstation through its paces last weekend using Duncan's
flags and so far I've only run across one package that gave me
problems and that was Evolution.  It didn't like the
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,now"

I can't really say if I've noticed a huge difference in performance
because I use Windowmaker which is already pretty snappy but some of
my apps such as Firefox seem to be a few steps quicker but that might
all be in my head.  Altogether it took about 18 hours to recompile the
whole mess and nothing fell apart other than a slight issue with
Evolution.

Cool. So you did essentially the

emerge -e system
emerge -e system
emerge -e world

steps that you did when upgrading gcc to get there?

Thanks,
Mark