Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 September 2006 11:11, "Hemmann, Volker Armin"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64]
> First Impressions':
>
>> -O3 don't do it. O2 is much, much safer and not really slower. It will
>> prevent a lot of breakage.
>>

> Bah!
>
> -O3 breaking just doesn't happen anymore.  I'm been running it for years.
> In fact -O3 has never generated invalid code [1] on x86 or amd64
> platforms.  It did for a period of time on ppc, but I think that was like
> 10 years ago.
>
> Also, some applications break with just -O2.  I count 8 ebuilds that
> replace this cflag specifically, there could be others that filter it or
> filter/replace optimization options entirely.  My methodology is available
> on request.
>
> Now, it is an open question whether -O3 is significantly faster than -O2
> and depending on a number of factors it may actually be slower.  -O3 will
> enlarge code to make execution paths shorter, but a cache miss is probably
> goes to blow away any advantage gained.  Conversely, -Os will make
> execution paths longer to shrink code, and a cache hits may make up for
> the longer path. [2]
>
> So, which is best depends on the program and on the CPU used (not only
> instruction set, but also cache sizes).  Therefore, making a sweeping
> recommendations is not recommended, but that doesn't stop anyone.  My
> recommendation is -O3. :)
>
> Naturally, Gentoo wins over binary distros on this point, since you can use
> CFLAGS that are appropriate for your specific processor (including cflags
> which control the optimization tradeoff parameters) as well as tuning for
> the specific application.

I've always used "-O3". The only exception is busybox, when I compile it
for initrd/initramfs. In those cases I prefer "-Os". I've never seen a
package which explodes with "-O3" and compiles with "-O2". That's the
reason I hate to find that "replace-flags -O? -O2" stuff in the ebuilds.
I think I've read somewhere in *.gentoo.org that It should be reported
if a "testing" version works fine so it could get in the stable tree
faster. Should this "replace-flags" stuff be reported when the package
compiles successfully with "-O3"?

--
Best regards,
Daniel