[EMAIL PROTECTED] posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Thu, 28 Sep
2006 14:16:38 -0500:

> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skribis:
>> It's wrong-headed to deride or discourage users for using the features
>> of their compiler when those functions are not erroneous.  Instead, you
>> should be leaning on the developers to fix the erroneous code.
>
> This looks like a false dichotomy to me.
>
> IMO people ought to use -O2 unless they are using a different setting for
> some specific purpose, including but not limited to ‘having fun’.

Well stated.  One could compare -O2 to stable.  Fancier CFLAGS then are
the logical parallel of running ~arch or even masked packages.  If you
have a good reason to do so, including fun, and have the knowledge, time,
and interest to fix the occasional problems when they do occur, there's
nothing wrong with it, but those that just want something that works with
the least hassle are  better off with stable, and vanilla CFLAGS such as
-march=k8 -pipe -O2 (only).

Happily, I'm in the group that likes the fun and has the
time/interest/developing-knowledge to run the fun stuff, and Gentoo makes
it easy, as it exposes all that power to my itchy little tweaking fingers!
=8^)