On Thursday 28 September 2006 15:17, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions':
> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skribis:
> > On Thursday 28 September 2006 14:16, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > wrote
> >
> > about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions':
> > > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skribis:
> > > This looks like a false dichotomy to me.
> > A piece of code it either conforms to a C/C++ standard
> > the compiler implements or not.
> Not that dichotomy, but the one that says it is wrongheaded to
> discourage users (who may have no interest in encountering or fixing
> bugs) from doing things that expose bugs, because developers should be
> bothered to fix their code. You can do both.

Ooooh, sorry, yeah.  That's true.  Although, rather than saying "don't
use -O3" to the user, I think it's better just to replace -O3 with -O2 in
the ebuild until upstream fixes things.  I just don't think the user
should ever feel breakage is their "fault" because they used advertised
features of their compiler and headed the associated warnings.

Now, I have to problem with developers closing some bug opened by a ricer
out there that's added -ffast-math to their CFLAGS as WONTFIX/INVALID
since it's not really a problem.  All the parts provided by Gentoo
(ebuild, source, compiler, portage, etc.) all behaving properly.  It's
just that, just like the warning says, programs WILL break
under -ffast-math.

> Indeed, there aren’t many fields of ‘production’ in which end users
> ought to be encouraged to try things that expose flaws in design or
> manufacture.

I disagree.  I want to know about those flaws, and I want the manufactures
to fix them -- which is why I like Consumer Reports so much. :)

I encourage people to test the tensile strength of their Windows CDs and
let me know at what point they break.  I'll collect and publish
statistics. ;)

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest