Joerg Gollnick wrote:
I played years ago with NX Server ( not FreeNX) over a WAN. It worked well and was fairly useable. They claim to be more efficient then VNC, as the NX protocol is interweaved with the X11 protocol itself.
Best regards Jörg

I gave up on freeNX on amd64 a while ago - it was just too hard to keep the thing working. It was faster, but it was a real mess getting it working at all (at the time it didn't support 64-bit).

Perhaps things have changed...

I'm using tightvnc with Xvnc and it works just fine for remote access to my machine. But don't plan on games or anything like that - many games refuse to launch if they're 3D.