On 5/27/07, Isidore Ducasse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
le Sun, 27 May 2007 23:32:49 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit:

> Not necessarily (or likely) /all/ their software, but significant parts
> of it.  OpenSolaris is currently CDDL, which /is/ OSI approved as a real
> "open" license, but was designed in part deliberately to be GPLv2
> incompatible.  Apparently, they weren't interested in Linux "stealing"
> their technologies, which they thought would happen if they made it GPLv2
> compatible.

Solaris' dev team had diverging points of view about GPL being relevant for a
private firm as Sun. Now it looks like there was room for a single conception
over there.

> They ARE considering dual-licensing Solaris under GPLv3, however, which
> they've been working closely with the FSF on.  Of course that's not a
> given until it's out, but it'd definitely widen the interest base (I for
> one may well be interested, especially if Linux stays GPLv2 only).

You mean the bare kernel, right? Solaris' kernel could be an alternative to linux? Is the
latter really different from the *BSD's? I've installed a NetBSD on my machine "for
fun" recently (tho I switched back to using my good'ol gentoo, can't get used to
anything else now. pkgsrc looks like a sympathetic old auntie); it appears to practice
monolithic kernel. What would be different in running a GPLv3 kernel? I've read about the
anti-DRM part of it; is there some other reason you/we could be interested in it?

BTW isn't there a technical issue licensing a single version of a soft against
two incompatible licenses? Or did you mean dual-licensing GPLv2 and GPLv3?

> Of course Linus and the other kernel devs were originally very much
> against early GPLv3 drafts.

Is it a matter of diverging positions towards industrial partners/users?

> The Gentoo Java devs are working on it, but as I said, I don't
> believe enough of the entire Java infrastructure has been released as GPL
> yet to do the entire thing as sources.  Even after it has, it'll take
> several months as experimental ebuilds in the Java overlay (emerge layman
> and read up on using it, if interested)

Ok! Does anyone know the difference between the java-overlay and the
java-gcj-overlay?