"Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted
below, on  Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:30:32 -0700:

> I tried booting into a different kernel but have the same problem so it
> would seem that there is an issue with this new version of Gnome but I'm
> hesitant to blame Gnome when Firefox is acting weird.
>
> No bad things in dmesg.
>
> Looks like upgrades my my box get sick on top of whatever this Google
> problem really is.

FWIW, earlier today I was having issues with at least one other part of
the net, Arstechnica, on an entirely different browser and windowing
environment (Konqueror and KDE, and knewsticker wasn't updating properly
either).  Whatever the problem was, it'd even hang privoxy (started as a
system service, so not even on my normal user, it affected the entire
machine), to the point where simply shutting down the service wouldn't
work.  I had to kill -9 privoxy, zap the service, then restart it.  I
then tried again, and the same thing happened, including the frozen
privoxy.

All the while, random other sites were continuing to come up just fine
(well, except when privoxy was frozen, of course, for things going thru
it).  Pings and traces to other net addresses were fine, but Arstechnica
was simply unreachable -- both traceroutes and tcptraceroutes ended at
the same router.

So... what I'm saying is that it's quite possible there was a major net
outage of some sort today, and segments of the net were unreachable.  I
thought it was just ArsTechnica, but if you were having issues with
Google Advanced Search, it's possible its main page was reachable, but
certain includes or the like, retrieved from elsewhere on the net, may
not have been.

Everything's working fine again here, now, so if you are still having
issues, maybe you /do/ have something sick on your system.  Hopefully,
however, it was simply a blip, related to what I was seeing or not.