2007/8/29, Lorenzo Milesi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> seems ok now:
> # hdparm -i /dev/sda

yep it looks ok now.... try also a hdparm -i /dev/sr0 to see if also the dvd
has ata enabled....

> > after that, the disk's spin may be due to the high load (thw swap
> filling -
> > try setting the swap to 1gb that is 2xphysical ram, for usually it is
> that
> > the dimension i use and it works very good on all my pcs) or to the fact
> > that the smartmontools aren't enabled.
>
> What do you mean by smartmontools not enabled? I do user smart.
> Actually the smart.conf looks like
> /dev/sda -H -l error -s (O/../../5/11|L/../../5/13) -m ThisIsNotUsed
> -M exec /usr/local/bin/smartd.sh

actually there is a different command for smart control in sata-pata
mode....
for me it is:

 smartctl -i -d ata /dev/sda

 here's the gentoo wiki guide for smartmon enabled, but if on your pc
already starts at boot and gives no error doing so it's ok.... verify that
you're actually starting it at boot (/etc/init.d/smartd status should give
it started)

I really with to thank you and all the others who replied and helped!!
> Things have improved, and actually I experience better usage.

you're welcome.... if you need any other assistance you can always ask
again....

ciao