On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've wanted to ask this for a while. I've never seen vmware running.
> I'm curious about running a few Windows apps on my AMD64 machine, if
> possible. Does stuff like sound work? I don't need any special
> hardware. (I think) Just disk, graphics and network.
>
> How well does this work? vmware seems to have a good reputation. What
> are the Open Source alternatives?
>
> If someone has a good pointer to something that walks a newbie through
> setting this up and running Win XP then that would be cool. I have XP
> licenses if necessary.

It's easy. If your CPU supports virtualization, make sure it is
enabled in your BIOS settings and the virtual machine will run at
nearly full speed (given sufficient RAM). Just emerge the version of
your choice (I suggest using the vmware overlay fort this). I think
vmware-server vmware-server-console are still free. If you don't use
bleeding-edge kernels, it's even easier. VMWare is one of those
closed-source programs with kernel modules that gets broken every time
there's a new kernel released.

Yes, I think sound and everything works in the free vmware-server
except for hotplugging USB devices. In vmware-workstation (commercial
product), plugging in USB devices work (so you can run itunes in
vmware and sync your ipod to it, for example). There is VERY minimal
directx/3D support but it's so bad it might as well not even exist. So
it'll be a 2D-only windows box (no fancy gaming will happen).

For alternatives there is VirtualBox, QEMU and a few kernel-based for
making a virtualization server. I've not used those so I can't say
anything about them.