On Friday 30 January 2009 15:54:43 Mark Knecht wrote:
> I've wanted to ask this for a while. I've never seen vmware running.
> I'm curious about running a few Windows apps on my AMD64 machine, if
> possible. Does stuff like sound work? I don't need any special
> hardware. (I think) Just disk, graphics and network.

In the case of VMware-server, sound works as long as your client is on the
same machine as the server - not over the network, in other words.

> How well does this work? vmware seems to have a good reputation.

I used to run it quite effectively. It was amusing to have a screen saver
running in a window: the one containing VMware. I only stopped using it
when I started running XP on a new laptop, which suited me a bit better.

--
Rgds
Peter