I would suggest VirtualBox.  It just installed easily for me.  I am
running it on my system with stable gentoo-sources kernel.

I just never had as much success with VMWare.

Good luck,
--
Steve Herber    her...@thing.com                work: 206-221-7262
Security Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services     home: 425-454-2399