> On 6/16/09, Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> Even allowing the "~amd64" unstable series, this remains true.
> >> Why is this so?
> >
> > Xorg? We have 2.6.2_pre . gcc? We have 4.4.0 . I dont know about perl :)
>
> Xorg-2.6.2_pre? In some overlay, not main portage tree? (Don't care,
> but that's my guess.)
> gcc-4.4.0? Masked by both package.mask ("for testing") and ~arch.
Of course. If you are an "advanced" user you can unmask them and use them. The
ebuild is there, exists but for SAFETY reasons is masked. This is NOT ubuntu.
Our main goal is not bleeding edge packages but working/stable packages. We
dont want 20 bugs/package on bugzilla.
Why is this so hard to conceive?

> New users probably try to use emerge like aptitude or yum, and not
> specify any versions. Thus, they won't even see most of this bleeding
> edge stuff already available (just hidden behind these simple safety
> valves), and might make the conclusion that "Gentoo is lagging".
>
> > We need to test them extensively.
>
> Yes, you test both new packages and new devs extensively. :D
>
> I think that was the crux of the last "low manpower" thread over at
> gentoo-dev couple months ago, when Mr Duncan was trying to find a way
> to become a dev without camping for hours in irc. :)
How is IRC related? Unless you mean the 2hours interview. I dont want to talk
about this here. We will be way out of topic
--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer [KDE/Qt/Sunrise/Sound]