On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Paul
> Hartman<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Mark Knecht<markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> XFCE seems pretty nice. It has a light feel, menus are handled, at
>>> least in the sense of the apps I had installed and were showing up in
>>> Gnome menus are there in XFCE. I don't like that it doesn't, at least
>>> out of the box on my computer, support multiple file drag & drop
>>> actions, but maybe it supports that sort of thing through cut & paste.
>>> Not sure. (Just thought of that one.)
>>
>> Multiple file drag & drop works fine for me in XFCE. I just created a
>> folder, highlighted 4 icons from my desktop, dragged them into the
>> folder and voila, there are 4 things in it.
>
> Interesting. Didn't work here for me out of the box. My Gnome desktop
> had a bunch of files on it. In XFCE I created a folder, dragged my
> mouse across 2 or more of these files. They looked selected but when I
> clicked on one of the files and started dragging it the file I clicked
> on what the only one deposited in the folder. The other files remained
> selected.
>
> I'll look around for some setting about this. Seems very basic though.
> Strange.
>
> Good to know it should work though.

I'm using xfce 4.6.1 in case you're on a different revision than me.

LXDE is another similar one you may want to check out. I haven't tried
it personally but it looks similar to XFCE, but perhaps even more
lightweight. I think it is a full desktop environment based around the
openbox window manager.