On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:32:04 -0600 Daniel Goller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:46:18 +0100 "Malte S. Stretz"
| > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > | I've got that great binary only game games-foo/foobar-1.0
| > | installed.  Works  great for me.  Now there's a new version
| > | foobar-1.1 available and you  create an ebuild for it.  Very cool,
| > | but while you did so, you also did  (for some reason or another)
| > | some tree-breaking change to the games.eclass.   A few weeks later
| > | there's another new version foobar-1.2 for which you also  create
| > | a new ebuild.
| >
| > Your entire argument is flawed based upon the "tree-breaking change"
| > thing. We don't commit tree-breaking changes to eclasses any more
| > than we do to ebuilds.
|
| you know it happens, and w/o versioned eclasses there is no way back
| for  the user

Sure there is. CVSweb, same as if we break an ebuild.

| so dont pretend we are all flawless superhuman AIs
| just cause you are doing flawless testing, doesnt mean we shouldnt
| keep  an easy way open to revert eclasses or allow locking down of a
| setup for  users

...or you could put all this effort into doing something useful.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm