maillog: 23/01/2005-05:11:53(+0100): Lars Weiler types
> * Georgi Georgiev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [05/01/23 12:41 +0900]:
> > Same argument as ultra1, but according to the functionality that vanilla
> > provides, this should probably stay local, too. Even if I want a vanilla
> > kernel, I may not want a vanilla mutt.
>
> Ever heard of /etc/portage/package.use ?  You can also
> un"use" USE-flags in that file on a package basis.

The recent USE flag related thread pointed out that local and global use
flags are decided upon the functionality that they provide. While the
"mysql" global use flag provides mysql support for each and every
package that IUSEs it, the vanilla flag (and local use flags in general)
offers very package-dependent behavior.

I know about package.use. This is where I turn off mysql support for
vpopmail, proftpd and others. However, since the vanilla flag is (and
local use flags in general should be) package-dependant it seldom makes
sense to set it (them) globally. Even if you do want that, it is not a
good idea, because you don't know when some other package (djbdns for
example) starts implementing the vanilla (same local) use flag as well,
you would want to have it set automatically.

> > This reminds me of something else. Since local flags are not intended to
> > be set globally, maybe portage should issue a warning if a local flag is
> > set in make.conf.
>
> Hmm...  I just kept them in my make.conf, as there were/are
> so many equal local use-flags.  And all the use-flag-editors
> (ufed, profuse) make use of the USE-variable in make.conf.

Well, the warning could be overridable. Something similar to
EBEEP_IGNORE.

--
|    Georgi Georgiev   |  Perhaps, after all, America never has been   |
|     [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  discovered. I myself would say that it had   |