On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 09:25 +0100, Stroller wrote:
> What's the difference between wpa_supplicant & wireless-tools, then?

Both do the same job - provide the tools to configure your wireless
card.

wpa_supplicant is a daemon that runs in the background and when it
associates with an AP in your list it applies the pre-defined security
settings. Any current wireless security on SOHO boxes is supported.

wireless-tools is a set of programs that configure your card per your
settings and call it a day. Gentoo baselayout does some rudimentry
scanning and AP selection, so it's not that bad. Only WEP security is
supported.

> Could ipw2200 (theoretically, as a virtual, or at some point in the
> future) depend upon wpa_supplicant instead?

That would be upto the package maintainers to decide, but I can't think
of any reason why not.

Roy