Chris Gianelloni wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 19:55 -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
>

>>Also I find it amusing when people say that Gentoo exists for the
>>users.  I think that is wrong.  Gentoo exists for the *developers*.
>>

>This is the reason why *I* use/develop Gentoo.  I love it.  I could care
>less if every single user we have drops us for Ubuntu.  I would still
>develop Gentoo so long as it is still fun.

You might reconsider this statement.

Suppose the entire user base will migrate to Ubuntu. The direct
consequence will be that the active dev corpus will grow thin, which
will lead to a dramatic decrease of distro's merits.
The dev and user communities are very close tighted together, but if
analyze who needs whom, you'll realize that dev community depends on
user community, not the other way around. No dev is irreplaceable, as
long as we have our cluefull user base in place.

Not every gentoo dev has a selfish motivation (at least not as selfish
as "having fun" or "being cool" motivations). For example, my reason to
becoming dev was to maintain unpopular (in dev world, of course)
packages and keep b.g.o as clean as I could. I ended up taking care of
100+ ebuilds, from which only 2 (ppp and squid) interests me as a person.