Hi,

Aron Griffis wrote:
> I think that attempting to take Gentoo in the "enterprise" direction
> is a mistake.  I think that we are a hobbyist distribution.  This
> doesn't mean that we should not strive to meet some of the enterprise
> goals.  Those things can be important to hobbyists too.  But I don't
> think we should be aiming for corporate America.

I don't think we're a good base for enterprise distributions with our
current tree either.

> I don't even understand why that goal appeals to people.  Let other
> distros go there!  I want Gentoo to run in people's homes, in student
> dorm rooms, etc.  Places where people want a fun distribution that
> they can tailor and work on easily.

As you stated before, many of the enterprise goals may also fit the
"hobbyist"'s ones. I'm running Gentoo on my Pentium-MMX for server
pourposes and I really would benefit from a slower moving tree, for example.

> I like the idea of Gentoo on alternative arches and in embedded
> environments.  Not because I want Sony to start using Gentoo on
> walkmans, but purely because the idea of running Linux on a PDA is
> cool.  I'd like Gentoo to be a place where neat things are developed.

Ack. Additionally, I like the idea of running Gentoo on a server. ;)

> Also I find it amusing when people say that Gentoo exists for the
> users.  I think that is wrong.  Gentoo exists for the *developers*.

Depends on which side you are. When I was a user, I always had the
feeling that Gentoo exists for me, since it doesn't force me to
something I don't want, I can decide what my system looks like.
Now that I became a developer I see Gentoo as a great opportunity to
expand my knowlege and experience and to meet nice people, so it's
primarily for me.

> It's our playground, and it's the reason we use a live tree rather
> than switching to an actually sane approach.  The users are cool
> because they point out bugs, help solve problems on bugzilla, suggest
> enhancements, provide patches, and notify us of package updates.
> Sometimes they become developers.  But the truth is that Gentoo sees
> improvement and maintenance in the areas that appeal to the
> developers.  And that is why Gentoo exists for the developers first,
> the users second.

I agree with this, but there are also situations where that isn't really
true. For example, I'm really interested in getting a true multilib
environment for AMD64, not because I want to run 32bit apps -- the few
ones I need already run smoothly -- but because it's an interesting and
ambitious project. For those who want to decide whether they want 32bit
or 64bit on a per-package-basis, multilib exists for them. To me,
multilib exists for me.

Although it's nearly everywhere the case, there doesn't have to be a
conflict of interests per-se. Gentoo has managed to not run into these
troubles, and that's why it's such a great distribution and community.

Greetings,

blubb

--
Simon Stelling