On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:52:44 -0700 Donnie Berkholz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
| | Files in /etc are expensive in terms of sysadmin time. The only
| | things in /etc should be things that are both necessary and likely
| | to be modified by a sysadmin.
|
| So we should stop installing example files, too?

Into /etc? Yes. Stick them in /usr/share/doc. If a package needs a file
in /etc, try to install a file which is generally suitable for most
people with the correct name.

It's Gentoo policy (yup, this is one of the few things we have 'real'
policy about) that packages should, where possible, work 'out of the
box'. We get this by installing a best attempt at a configuration file
into the correct location. Cluttering up a CONFIG_PROTECTed area with
bogus .example files merely makes more work for the end user.

--
Ciaran McCreesh