On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 01:18:17PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > Yes, very. Saves us from hacky local USE flag handling by naming them
> > > no* or adding them to profiles.
> >
> > Which then raises the question of whether or not -* in a users USE
> > should disable it.
> > I say no, since -* is mainly for killing off auto-use crap and
> > profiles.
>
> doesnt matter to me one way or the other ... may be confusing to users though
> who do `USE=-* emerge blah -pv` and see flags enabled
Yeah, but the angle I'm pushing for default IUSE's ...er.. use is
eliminating no* flags, and giving ebuild maintainers more flexibility
in breaking the package down into conditionals.

I really don't see -* being all that useful long term frankly, since
the major usage of it I've seen is either within cascaded profiles, or
nuking autouse; people do block profile use flags also, but killing
autouse falls in with killing profiles :)
~harring