Lance Albertson wrote:

>Mike Frysinger wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 18 August 2005 10:28 am, Christian Parpart wrote:
>>

>>>Do we have a general accepted gentoo policy for this?
>>>

>>general policy is to not split packages (and i agree with this ...)
>>

>bind and bind-tools is split ;) Why is it so bad to split packages? (I'm
>just curious) Seems a bit odd that we can't have a library only, client
>only, etc package like the other distros. Of course, I understand that
>we could use useflags for that, but is that really the best solution for
> this particular issue?
>
>Oh well, I'm just a sysadmin, not a coder so I'll got back to my cave. ;)

vimdiff  bind-tools/bind-tools-9.2.5.ebuild bind/bind-9.2.5-r5.ebuild
In the eventuality of mysql being splitted the landscape is totally
different.
The code to duplicate is a 40% of the ebuild speaking of volume, in
maintenance the percentage is bigger.

I'm a (little) sysadmin too, redundancy is good speaking of servers but
maintain a cluster or simply to synced servers is more difficult (and
error prone) that maintain only one, right ?