On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:27:34PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> This could still be done under profiles.  Personally, I like the idea of
> something more like this:
>
> project/os/arch/version for profiles
>
> This would give us something like this:
>
> default/linux/x86/2006.0
> default/freebsd/alpha/2006.0
> hardened/linux/amd64/2006.0/2.4
> hardened/freebsd/x86/2006.0
> uclibc/linux/mips/2006.0/cobalt
> server/linux/x86/2006.0

I like...
That's pretty much what I'm aiming for; not after forcing *you* to do
server/etc, just would prefer to see it structured so that others can
do so.

That said, initial email was worded a bit strongly, so pardon ;)

> > Two scenarios for how this will result in visible issues for people-
> > 1) CVS users, aka, devs.  Devs *should* be running latest portage,
> >    which would know about the shift.  If they're running an older
> >    portage version and aren't willing to upgrade, they tag the
> >    symlinks themselves.  It's a minor annoyance frankly; assuming they
> >    read -dev (like they're suppossed to :P ), they'll know in advance
> >    it's coming.
>
> Many devs use the latest stable versions of packages rather than testing
> versions.  I tend to find this to be a good thing as there are often
> bugs in particular combinations of package versions that aren't
> necessarily spotted when running all ~arch.
>
> Also, devs are not required to read or even be subscribed to -dev.

Agreed.  Implicit in all this is that I'm going to have to make a bit
of noise (and probably attempt and get it shoved out via gwn) prior to
doing it, so that I don't have ~100 devs who didn't hear the news
looking in my direction.
~harring