On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 19:02 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:

> For now, I don't want to rsync more than every 30 minutes (concerns of
> overloading the main cvs server). Pylon has mentioned that the newer
> version of cvs has better commit hooks that may allow for more of a live
> replication effect, but I don't expect that to happen any time soon. I
> will try and come up with a revised version of GLEP 41 and see if
> hparker and folks will agree with this new solution.
>
> We will probably still have the blocking script on this server, but will
> be at a much higher level. This is just to prevent folks from abusing
> the service or giving out their access for other people to use. I really
> don't see that happening, but I would prefer to have some kind of
> prevention in place for infra's sake. I'll have to think out details on
> the authentication scheme for access, but I would assume it would be per
> AT and not a shared access account.
>
> Thoughts?

If any user really wanted to get the access that AT/HT's get, and the
AT/HT was so to give them it, there would be different IP addresses from
the same auth 'similaneously'. ie. logs state, IP A, IPB IPA, IPb. this
would indicate a security violation and revocation of privilege for the
AT/HT. Accomplished Via script?
Personally, If I wanted a user to have access to the same tree I had, I
would say A) chill for 12hrs, B) sync to my local mirror, C) post
ebuild.tar for them.  I don't believe there is an issue with AT/HT's
disseminating access to users. However I understand the need to be
prepared in case it happens.

25-55min delay may need to be acceptable.

<brainstorming out loud>
Allow (x) access to the dedicated rsync server, not limited by time.
        - Allow Devs to change this number if they feel it is necessary
                - <5min access when working directly with Dev.
        - number reset every (y) days.
        (this means new infra, so prolly not)

Per AT Access:
        Each AT upload their ssh_pub to the existing infra - use that
for ?secure? rsync auth.
</>

--
Lares Moreau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  | LRU: 400755 http://counter.li.org
Gentoo x86 Arch Tester                 |               ::0 Alberta, Canada