On Tuesday 29 November 2005 09:51, Gregorio Guidi wrote:
> Every user _must_ be instructed to run
> 'revdep-rebuild --soname libstdc++.so.5',
> if a system contains things linking to libstdc++.so.5 and things
> linking to libstdc++.so.6 I consider it horribly broken.

A system is only horribly broken if it contains binaries or libraries that
link to both libstdc++.so.5 *and* libstdc++.so.6. This creates
instabilities. The situation you describe is only that of a system in
transition.

> Thus having libstdc++-v3 installed apparently solves a problem but in
> fact does not solve anything, the only solution is to recompile
> everything c++ related on the system.

It is also needed for third party apps that were linked against
libstdc++.so.5. As long as those applications do not depend on other
libraries that are linked against a newer c++ lib things are totally ok.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer