For reference, I'm quoting this snippet from earlier in the thread:

Jason Stubbs wrote:
On Sunday 11 December 2005 10:35, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
.. Note:: Future changes to Portage involving support for multiple
repositories may require one news list per repository. Assuming
repositories have some kind of unique identifier, this file could be named
``news-repoid.unread``.

Repositories will definitely have a unique identifier. Perhaps it would be better to use the repository-identifing format from the beginning so that readers are forced to be forwards-compatible? Assuming the readers would then output the repository name, labeling it "gentoo" should work well...

[...]

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:11:51 +0900 Jason Stubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| newsdir="$(portageq envvar PORTDIR)/metadata/news"
| newsdir="$(portageq newsdir gentoo)"
| | Both have one level of indirection. The first has two hard coded
| elements. The first has one. Where is the massive over-indirection?
| | The second allows future changes. The first does not. Where does the | specification come into it? All that would be needed is to allow a
| user a method to name overlays and it'd be useful straight off the
| bat.

The former relies upon existing, widely used functionality together
with a well-defined path. The latter has some magic hard-coded name
voodoo (what's a 'gentoo'?) and is still stuck only supporting a single
location.

Apparently, 'gentoo' is meant to be the identifier for the official gentoo
repository (portage tree).  It corresponds to 'magic-chicken' below.

Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

Whenever relevant unread news items are found, the package manager will create a
file named ``/var/lib/gentoo/news/news-magic-chicken.unread`` (if it does not
already exist) and append the news item identifier (eg
``2005-11-01-yoursql-updates``) on a new line.

Zac