On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:09:31 +0100 Carsten Lohrke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| I wonder if portage deals fine with subtle dependency
| incompatibilities, when one package has foo[!bar] and another one
| foo[bar] as dependency and spits out a reasonable error message to
| apply mutual blockers.

If they're purely in DEPEND, that one isn't even an incompatability.

| > kde-libs/kde:3
| > ^^^ need any kde, with slotting enabled.
| >
| > kde-libs/kde:3,4
| > ^^^ need any kde, slotting 3 or 4.
| >
| > Combination?  Not set in stone afaik, the implementation I have
| > sitting in saviour doesn't care about the ordering however.
|
| This is the one I'm entirely not sure what it is good for. To me it
| looks more like a workaround for missing dependency ranges, but it
| won't solve any issue for KDE related packages.

Well, any library that changes ABI should use a different SLOT for each
revision. So SLOT depends should be able to replace the need for = and
~ and < and <= dependencies entirely. Which is a good thing, since
those atoms make dependency resolution a general-case unsolvable
problem.

| As a general remark I'd like to know if and how this enhanced
| dependency syntax is ordered. :[], []: or is both allowed!? What if
| we find out, that we need to consider another factor, later? :[]<>?
| Wouldn't it be better to have a extensible scheme, like e.g.
| $category/$ebuild[use:foo,!bar;slot:x,y] ?

The existing syntax is just as extensible. Up the EABI revision, and
start adding new syntax as needed.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
Mail            : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web             : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm