Alec Warner wrote:
>> The whole argument here is that bailing out with conflicting use flags
>> breaks some extensive compiles. So you suppose users will be sitting in
>> front of their monitor and stare on the screen waiting for a scary
>> warning?
>> No, they won't. And even if they were, how exactly is that warning
>> better
>
> No they won't, but elog in portage-2.1 will gladly send them a message
> via whatever configuration they have about the warning that the ebuild
> produced.
>
> -Alec Warner
Greetings dear Gentoo developers.

I would like to give you my humble point of view on this subject as a
simple gentoo user.

A few days after an emerge that took 7 hours to complete I used the
portlog-info script to extract the warnings from the portage log (I'm
using portage 2.0.54 on that computer so no elog there). While reading
these warnings I came to this one:

 === 2006-02-12 01:01 =========== php-4.4.0-r4 ===
 = /var/log/portage/2729-php-4.4.0-r4.log (4.0K) =
 * If you have both freetds and mssql in your USE flags, parts of PHP
 * may not behave correctly, or may give strange warnings. You have
 * been warned! It's recommended that you pick ONE of them. For sybase
 * support, chose 'freetds'. For mssql support choose 'mssql'.
 * If you have additional third party PHP extensions (such as
 * dev-php/eaccelerator) you may need to recompile them now.

So now, even if I have no knowledge about PHP, I know that if something
is going wrong with it I will have to check these use flags.  And if I
was not so lazy  I would have a look at them right now to be sure
nothing bad will happen.

I feel more comfortable with this behavior than with a long emerge that
would have stopped in the middle because of potentially conflicting use
flags.

(sorry for my bad English and thank you all for your good work. I just
love Gentoo)

Fabrice Bellamy