On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 09:38:17AM -0500, Daniel Goller wrote:

> Jon Portnoy wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 08:41:31AM -0500, Daniel Goller wrote:
> >> inviting community) and why you think stricter test make for better
> >> developers, why you think harder tests would cut down more on the quick
> >> in and out people.
> >
> > Empirical evidence agrees.
> >
> > Our current quiz practices have done a good job keeping out a lot of the
> > incompetence that used to slip through before we took that approach.
> >
> > Stricter tests make for more knowledgable developers and folks with a
> > lack of commitment to Gentoo are usually not willing to tackle the
> > learning curve.
> >
> > As for whether or not we're inviting or not, anybody can contribute.
> > They don't need to be @gentoo.org to do so. What we really need is to
> > focus more on those outside contributions.
> >

> so that is where this is all coming from, who said that we should hand
> out @gentoo.org ? i never said that, they don't need it, and everyone
> gets to feel all special about the @gentoo.org the way they are used to,
> a committing contributor does not require a @gentoo.org

That's called a "figure of speech" -- I was not literally referring to
the email address but rather Gentoo developer status. Sorry for being
unclear.

My point was more that commit access is not a prerequisite to
contribute.

> and unless you give them a general aptitude and attitude test, you do
> not know a thing about the person who answered a few technical questions
> (more)

Sure you do. You know whether they know what they're doing in the tree.

--
Jon Portnoy
avenj/irc.freenode.net