On Thursday 18 May 2006 00:26, Stephen Bennett wrote:
> Given the sheer volume of impassioned response, regardless of any
> technical arguments, I'm dropping the top-level profile idea for now.
> Several architecture teams have expressed an interest in creating
> sub-profiles under their own, however, and I'll be working with them to
> get those implemented. Perhaps I'll revisit the top-level idea at a
> later date when all the fuss has died down.

I seriously disagree with this action. Such profiles have the same
problems as a toplevel profile, and as such are just as problematic as a
toplevel paludis profile.

Since the profile does not actually add anything except making portage a
virtual (which is independent of paludis, and a good idea in any case),
there is also no use for doing so.

If you really really need to have a profile, it might be discussable to
have no-portage profiles, that do not include portage or python in
system. These however must still be portage compatible, and independent
of a package manager.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze