On Thursday 18 May 2006 20:03, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 19:47:55 +0200 Paul de Vrieze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> | On Thursday 18 May 2006 18:19, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> | > By that argument, future Portage versions aren't compatible with
> | > current Portage, and so are not a candidate for Portage replacement.
> |
> | The primary package manager has different standards to adhere to as
> | any other.
>
> There is no such thing as a primary package manager and using such a
> term only serves to distract from what could otherwise be productive
> discussion.

Why so. Portage is the one and only (thus primary) package manager for the
gentoo tree.  It is by itself responsible for the database of installed
packages. This responsibility can only be held by one package manager at the
time as multiple databases would create conflicts and / or missing
information. That means at a system there is a primary package manager.

The productive discussion is distracted from by your attempts to hamper my
argumentation by making unsupported accusations against my reasoning.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer