On Thu, 18 May 2006 12:41:47 -0700 Brian Harring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
| Please talk to the OSX folk- they would disagree, since
| collision-protect was added to keep gentoo-osx from stomping on the
| primary installation (iow, to keep the secondary from acting like it
| was primary).  Since you also spent a lot of time 'contributing' to
| prefix, I'd expect you'd understand the primary vs secondary role
| also (same with since you've ranted at autopackage).

Except that by that definition, Paludis *is* a primary package manager.

| What he is driving it at is that either paludis is an alternative
| (yet on disk compatible) primary, or it's a secondary- you keep
| debating the compatibility angle, thus the logical conclussion is
| that it's a secondary.

We're an alternative, not entirely on disc compatible primary.

| Re: vdb, the virtuals hack you've slipped in is paludis choice- you
| design your manager properly, the vdb backend can be swapped out.  In
| other words, collect virtuals on the fly (ala portage/preexisting vdb
| compatible), or convert that backend to a format that has the
| virtuals flattened.
|
| Bluntly, if I can do it in pkgcore, you ought to be able to do it in
| paludis.

Design choice. We chose not to continue with previous design mistakes
that exist only because of limitations in Portage's dep resolver where
we can do so without requiring ebuild changes.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail            : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk