Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> What exactly is there to "discuss" about this?
Evaluating our progress with hashing out the details etc.

> It is not an official
> project anymore, so the council really has no bearing on it.  I'm
> guessing you would like for it to become an official project.
correct.

> If I were
> asked, some of the things I would bring up are:

> What has the existence of Sunrise done for Gentoo?
- We have formed a #gentoo-sunrise channel with an atmosphere of help and
friendliness
- We are teaching many people how to write ebuilds correctly and how to use
repoman to check for QA problems, etc.

> What new packages
> are now in the tree because of it?
For example I have added a fix for ftpd and libvc to the tree. I also bumped
media-video/dvd-slideshow. Markus Ullman added net-analyzer/wireshark from
a sunrise contributor, drchandra, to portage.

> What new developers have been
> recruited because of it?
Recruiting is a long-term goal. We already have a two people that have done
the ebuild quiz, one other is working on it. It is like release work: they
will be released as developers when they are ready. I do not
want "alpha-developers" on the tree. And no, we will not reveal the release
date ;)

> What packages that were previously without
> maintainers in the tree have found maintainers due to Sunrise?
I mentioned a few packages above where I fixed bugs because of sunrise
people, that does not mean they found maintainers, but people care about it
and I can commit their fixes if needed.

> I think you fail to see that for something like Sunrise to prove itself
> as a viable Gentoo project, it has to actually accomplish some of its
> stated goals.
Looking up the "stated goals" in the cvs log:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/xml/htdocs/proj/en/sunrise/index.xml?hideattic=0&view=markup
> encourage users to write ebuilds
> find new recruits
> make maintainer-wanted ebuild access and development easier
> work with users on new ebuilds and explain them what they can do better
We have only found potential recruits but at least those four have been
reached.

> That being said, if the council wants to discuss it, they're more than
> welcome to.  I just personally feel it wouldn't be time well spent.
Not discussing is not a solution either. The last userrel-meeting about
sunrise was very successfull. If you want we can make another meeting and
talk about it together before the council meeting? I would love that, to
hear some more about your ideas for the "stated goals" of Sunrise and get
issues sorted out without (perceivedly) offensive mails on the developer
mailing list.

Best regards,
Stefan