On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 03:57:51PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 20:40 +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:55:03PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
> > > Keep pushing this and the only thing you will end up with is the
> > > vanilla flag being removed all together..
> >
> > Is that a threat? If not, is there a reason behind this?
>
> Yes.. When users or devs complain non stop when they
> don't understand something it leaves us with a few choices.
> 1) put up with people not having a clue.
> 2) remove the option so they can't bitch about it.
>
> Option #1 is not fun as it pushes the hand on #2

Option 3: Enlighten me. I have explained why I feel the way I do, so if
there's some big flaw in my understanding, please do correct it.

> > > You want a pure 100%
> > > vanilla(POS) non working toolchain then go download it and
> > > compile it yourself. You will soon see why things exist the way
> > > they do..
> >
> > If you mean modifying the build system to actually work properly, then I
> > have no problem with that. USE=vanilla refers to runtime behaviour, not
> > the build system. (See use.desc.) Specifically, if patches are applied
> > that make sure GCC compiles, and those patches make sure GCC compiles to
> > the same program intended by the GCC devs at that release, those patches
> > are appropriate, IMO. None of the GCC patches I have problems with are
> > of this nature.
> >
> > If you mean vanilla GCC + build fixes is unusable, then I'd appreciate
> > an explanation, because as far as I know, it can work just fine as a
> > system compiler, and plenty of people, at some times myself included,
> > use it as one.
>
> You use the Gentoo modified one. Regardless of what USE= flags you have
> enabled you are still getting Gentoo behaviors.

Gentoo isn't the only system I use. I have used vanilla GCC + build
fixes, and I have been able to get a working system with it. So I'm
still waiting on your explanation of how it is unusable.

Interesting, and I did not know that, but looking at kernel-2.eclass
(which appears to be the only thing doing any modifying), the
modifications are all build system fixes, and won't affect the generated
kernel.