On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 07:50:27PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Friday 07 July 2006 19:04, Harald van Dijk wrote:
> > I hope this is specific enough: toolchain.eclass revision 1.234
> > (separating ssp/... from vanilla) log message:
> > "ssp/pie/htb have their own USE flags sep from vanilla, so people can
> >  utilize those"
> > when in fact the old USE=vanilla behaviour is unavailable now. You have
> > never (as far as I know) answered whether it was intended to keep the
> > old behaviour as an option, and if it wasn't, why the log message is
> > what it is.
>
> well i cant answer it if you havent asked it ... me not answering you on irc
> when i'm not around does not constitute being ignored and anyone who relies
> on irc in this respect really needs to learn more about irc

I also mentioned it in a bugzilla comment, though admittedly not as a
question there. (The gcc 2 bug, I think.) Bugzilla comments are safe to
assume read, right?

> the log message looks pretty clear to me, i dont see this "hidden message"
> you're referring to
>
> the ssp/pie/htb patches have their own USE flags so separating them from
> USE=vanilla makes perfect sense ...

I'm not disagreeing with that, but removing an older option is not just
providing more choices.

>                                     now you can do:
> gentoo patches + ssp
> gentoo patches + nossp
> vanilla + ssp
> vanilla + nossp

gentoo patches + ssp
gentoo patches + stub
vanilla + ssp
vanilla + stub

> whereas before you only had the option of:
> gentoo patches + ssp
> vanilla + nossp

gentoo patches + ssp
gentoo patches + stub
vanilla

> like i said in my previous e-mail, forcing stubs onto people even when
> USE=vanilla *is by design* because i got tired of people who had no clue
> about the consequences throwing USE=vanilla into their USE in make.conf and
> then complaining when the lack of SSP broke things ...

But I'm not asking for USE="vanilla" to disable SSP completely, I'm only
asking for USE="vanilla nossp" to disable it. "nossp" is already
explicitly documented as "NOT FOR GENERAL USE", too.

>                                                        this is also the
> reason i havent added USE=vanilla to glibc, too many users would simply break
> their boxes

No complaints there. :)